Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Eat, drink and be Merry

I prepared a great meal for my partner and I this evening, if I say so myself. One way we save money is by rarely eating out; to fine-dine or fast foods. We live in the mountains of southeast New Mexico so it has been very cold of late. Freezing, actually, and it's going to snow tonight. We need it, this is a tourist town with a ski resort, so I don't begrudge it, but our heating bill is off the charts this year. We HAVE to pay for the propane, so not going out to eat is a no-brainer.

I love to cook, and I'm good at it. That's not the case with most Americans. Every day I see cars full of families scarfing down burgers and cokes. The Mexican and Chinese fast food takeouts are packed. The movie Super Size Me told us a lot about our bad habits as a country. Most of us eat for pleasure, we're not really hungry. Or we're in a hurry so we make that quick stop at the corner Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Lots of good (and bad) reasons to eat unbalanced meals, too much sugar, and way too much fat.

But when is there time to prepare a good meal? Both parents working, children so busy with extracurricular activities, or NO activities. Eating has become habitual instead of nutritional.

There is a better way to eat and drink. I'm gonna tell you all about it! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment